I Love My Librarians!!!

Click here to nominate your librarian for the 2011 I Love My Librarian Award

Monday, October 16, 2006

Books That Speak to You

Recently I worked with one of BHS's English teacher's on, what I thought to be, a very creative assignment entitled "Reading and Writing History". In her words, "In order to move forward as readers and writers, it is important to know where we are as literate people."

Students were to choose 3 books they have enjoyed reading, from various "eras" of their life, as well as influential writing experiences they have had. It is the idea of looking at reading experiences that have shaped us or have had a lasting effect on us that I address this post.

Let's expand this classroom assignment and go "Between the Lines" of our own reading history.

We welcome your comments and thank you in advance for sharing.

Here is a link to the story of one person's reading history :
Re-reading Ourselves Through Little Women: Four Young Readers’ Story of Feminine and Feminist Mentoring Through the Voice of Jo March



1 comment:

D. Lazar said...

I was not a reader in my early childhood and young adult years. However, one of my fondest childhood memories is connected to my mother and a book. A.A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh, also wrote Now We Are Six and When We were Young, two books of verse. It is from these books that I remember my mother reading to me at night, after "tucking" me into bed.

“Lines and Squares

Whenever I walk in a London street,
I'm ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, "Bears,
Just look how I'm walking in all the squares!"